I am definitely one biased writer here. So, forgive me. But then, I also am reviewing this from different perspectives! First of all, I am one of the core members of the Homeschool Association of Philippine Islands (HAPI) that partnered with Educating For Life (EFL) in presenting this year’s conference. Secondly, I am also one of the workshop speakers for the ”How to Start Your Homeschool Journey” session. Thirdly, I was a homeschooler attendee myself, overseeing our homeschooled (former and current) children as they volunteered and fourthly, I was an exhibitor in the expo as well representing the Visions of Hope Foundation where I currently sit as board member. Fifthly, I also represented the FB Homeschooling Support groups as Homeschoolers of the Philippines (HOP)…. gasp.. whew… and lastly, I was a homeschool blogger.. so there. Wow, that sounded like a UNIT STUDY Approach on How to Get Involved in the Philippine Homeschool Conference! So, hopefully, all that perspective will help equalize my own biases as I write this ( Honestly, we welcome all positive and constructive feedback! Please comment!).
So here are my favorite things about this year’s run:
- For Homeschoolers, By Homeschoolers: Just look at the photos. Nuff said!
More orchestral music were provided by the Catholic Family Academy Homeschool Orchestra and by the Mercurio Family Ensemble.
2. This year’s “title or theme” : From Roots to Wings
I love it. There are so many ways of looking at it. From seeds to roots, from walking to flying. From roots to release. I just love all the analogies that “roots” and “wings” bring to mind.
3. The Homeschooling through Stages approach
Whether you are just about to take the plunge, or homeschooling for some time, whether you are ready to release to college or needing encouragement in your journey, whether you represent a homeschool provider or thinking of putting up one…. there is a room for you in this conference!
4. Impactful Keynote Messages
You just wanted to be better in what we were doing. After the morning messages, you just wanted to a better parent (in whatever capacity your season calls you as described by Bro. Bo Sanchez as “control, coach and consultant!”) , a better educator, a better believer, a better neighbor…….
The venue is central, easily accessible for people within Metro Manila. It was very comfortable and highly conducive for learning. One suggestion I have heard was to create more space for the expo so the aisles are not so cramped.
6. Relationships Recharged
Seeing familiar ones too!
7. The launch of many firsts!
- The HapiNews ( hopefully a regular newsletter from HAPI)
- HomeschoolTV website, youtube and FB site!
- The Philippine Homeschool Conference App (though others may have preferred a one page hard copy schedule that they could hold and fold) was quiet useful.
- The coziest nook ever for FB Homeschooling Support Groups as spearheaded by Ms. Denise Pena
8. Ok, my brother, Senator Kiko Pangilinan’s heartwarming opening remarks was simply the best way to start a conference. Not only did he launch March 3, 2017 (and promised to file a senate resolution for it) as the first ever Philippine National Homeschooling Day, “Building Up the Philippines, One Family at a Time” (Congratulations to Ms. Ailene Amargo for this winning tagline!”, he also expressed his support to help in legislation to support all homeschoolers in the Philippines! But I think, our favorite, honestly , was his stories about “homeschooling” his children!
9. The A-team : Amazing, Adorable, Aweome, Alive, Aggressive, Agile, Alert, Attentive, Assuring. We give the team A+ indeed!
10. The best ever Homeschool Expo/Trade Fair (good thing I was super busy and was able to resist the temptation to purchase and hoard!) with so many exciting, enriching and cool products and super fun activities for kids.
Congratulations to the entire team behind this conference. A job well done, indeed.
So there, how about you? Any comments or suggestions? Pls feel free to share your thoughts. If you’d like to share more photos on the event, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org! You may also direct your feedback regarding the recently concluded conference via Philippine Homeschool Conference FB page or www.educatingforlife.co !
Gotta go for!
1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.